Make your own free website on Tripod.com
Wiesbaden Dental Clinic

March 2002 Drill Bits Volume 1, Issue 5




New Editor in Chief of Drills Bits

After four successful issues of Drill Bits, LTC Carter has passed his editorial duties to CPT Mike Lee, Wiesbaden Dental Command’s newest dental officer. The purpose of the newsletter is to update everyone on the happenings within the command, to provide useful information, and to help promote inter and intra clinic camaraderie. If anyone has any suggestions for future publications please contact CPT Mike Lee.


Dentac and WDC News

•The Dental Corps Birthday Ball was celebrated on March 9th, everyone had a good time. •The EAMP meeting will be on March 15th. Dental coverage for the command will be at the WAAF. •Landstuhl Dentac Change of Command will be on June 19th (details forthcoming). •Wakernheim received six new chairs.


Dental Tech Sighted at Wiesbaden

No more pin indexing! SPC Nicole Smith arrived in Germany in February and is now working at the Wiesbaden Dental Clinic. SPC Smith is originally from Kerrville, Texas. Prior to joining the Army she worked as a veterinary tech in Colorado and later became certified in pharmacy technology. SPC Smith joined the Army in 1999 and was trained as a dental assistant at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, Texas. After being selected the Soldier of the Month and Quarter, she was chosen to train as a dental technician at the ADL at Fort Gordon, Georgia. In her spare time, SPC Smith enjoys spending time with her children and riding horses.

Earn a Three or Four Day Pass

LTC Carter has revised his policy on passes for excellence on the PT Test. On April 11th at 0700, participating soldiers will have the opportunity to earn a three or four day pass. To earn a three day pass, soldiers need to score a minimum of 270 points. Alternatively, a four day pass can be earned by improving your best prior PT score by 10 points along with increasing one area of testing by 5 points. Those individuals entering a new age classification are ineligible for the four day pass.


Clinic Profile

CPT Mark Wieczorek, a middle child (that explains everything), is originally from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Mark completed his BS at Duquesne and his DMD at Temple University. One tidbit that you may not know about Mark is that he almost ended up forging a career as a landscaper had Temple not called and accepted him the day of orientation (he was actually weed wacking when Temple called!). After graduation from dental school, he completed a residency program at Fort Carson, followed by a one year tour in Korea. He eventually ended up in Germany for a three year tour and extended for an additional year so he could run with the bulls in Pamplona this summer. This June Mark will be promoted to Major. During his spare time he loves to ski, travel Europe, drink large quantities of dunkel beer and continue his search for that perfect mate.


Prevalence of Malocclusion by Dr. Glenn Casey

Two large scale surveys were carried out by the Division of Health Statistics of the U.S. Public Health Service to determine the prevalence of malocclusion in the United States. One study covered children ages 6 to 11 between 1963 and 1965; the other covered youths ages 12 to 17 between 1969 and 1970. Each study consisted of approximately 8000 individuals. It was found that 25% had near-ideal occlusion. The remaining 75% had varying degrees of malocclusion. The severity of malocclusion was generally greater in the older group. Among both groups, the nature of the malocclusion in decreasing order of occurrence was as follows: 1. Crowding, spacing, malalignment. 2. Anteroposterior problems, with excessive overjet (maxillary incisors forward) in 12-17% of the samples, and lower overjet (mandibular incisors forward) in 0.6-1.2% of the samples. 3. Vertical problems, with openbite (space between maxillary and mandibular incisors) more prevalent in the black population, and overbite (overlp of maxillary and mandibular incisors) more prevalent in the white population. The problem became worse in the older group for both populations. 4. Transverse problems (crossbites) with single teeth or groups of teeth. The conclusion from these studies is that 75% of the population ages 6-17 do not have ideal occlusions and could benefit in varying degrees by having orthodontic treatment. -------------------------------- A doctor was making his hospital rounds and stopped by the bed of an attractive young woman. He looked her over and then picked up her chart. “What do you think, Doctor?” “I think you have acute meningitis,” he replied as he read her chart. “I’m sure I have. But what’s wrong with me?”


Return to Wiesbaden Dental Command